Learning management system overview and Moodle
A learning management system (LMS) is a software application for the administration, documentation, tracking, and reporting of training programs, classroom and online events, e-learning programs, and training content. A robust LMS should be able to do the following:
Moodle is the leading Learning Management System out in the market. It is open source and free licensing. Moodle LMS can be used in many types of environments such as in a learning delivery tool in educational institutes, and for business settings; as a community and collaboration tool.
Moodle application server: Moodle is mainly deployed on PHP/MySQL/Apache platform; it can also be used with most of the many other standard database and web servers.
The modular design of Moodle LMS allows it to address wider range of business issues than other most closed source alternatives. It is a learning management system which lets to manage your learning delivery contents in a structured form. Moodle LMS allows you to manage and track students/trainees enrolment and progress by progress report, collaborating and receiving feedback, social forum and distributing news.CONTACT us for your LMS requirements
Given below are some of the design and feature highlights of Moodle Learning management system:
- Block based design
- Customizable theme
- Modular structure
- Community hub
- Social and course based forum
- Course management
- Group based user management
- Support various repository
- Over 90 language packs
- SCORMSharable Content Object Reference Model (SCORM) is a collection of standards and specifications for web-based e-learning. It defines communications between client side content and a host system called the run-time environment, which is commonly supported by a learning management system. SCORM is a specification of the Advanced Distributed Learning (ADL) Initiative, which comes out of the Office of the United States Secretary of Defense. and IMSIMS Content Packaging v1.2 Public Draft v2.0 specification describes data structures that can be used to exchange data between systems that wish to import, export, aggregate, and disaggregated packages of content IMS is a body which helps define technical standards for various things, including e-learning material. The IMS Content Packaging specification makes it possible to store chunks of material in a standard format which can be re-used in different systems, without having to convert the material into new formats. support
- Lesion, AssignmentThe assignment module allows teachers to collect work from students, review it and provide feedback including grades., quizThe Quiz activity module allows the teacher to design and build quizzes consisting of a large variety of Question types, including multiple choice, true-false, and short answer questions. These questions are kept in the Question bank and can be re-used in different quizzes
- Conditional activity and activity tracking, calendar
- Wiki, HTML, static content, chat
- workshop, survey , feedback
- Grading, reporting in versus level on course, quiz, assignment topic etc.
- Setting up Paid training with Paypal/Credit card
Moodle market share has seen a rapid growth over last 7 years of years. While it started from less than 100 thousand and now it is over 1.2 million. The reason for this s loyal user base would be Moodle features, scalability and reliability. Open sources eliminates the possibility of any vendor lock down and opens up the community support. There is no requirement for per user licensing. Moodle has millions of registered users who constantly share the ideas, codes, information and free support and this makes scope and possibilities enormous.
Who can benefit from learning management system for e-learning?
We see Moodle being used in various settings. It can be used in primary schools, high school, colleges and universities and up to business settings, this all can be achieved just by changing the learning delivery and management approach and using different sets of functionalities already available in this LMS platform.
For Educational institutes:
Moodle LMS can both be used in a classroom or distance learningDistance education or distance learning is a field of education that focuses on teaching methods and technology with the aim of delivering teaching, often on an individual basis, to students who are not physically present in a traditional educational setting such as a classroom. It has been described as "a process to create and provide access to learning when the source of information and the learners are separated by time and distance, or both setting. We also see Moodle LMS used for student groups from primary years to higher education. Ability to produce and host interactive and multimedia content in this LMS, makes it an ideal platform to engage with the students. This LMS platform also supports standard course formats such as IMS and SCORM. This helps creating a virtual interactive learning environment.
User group makes a class of student easy. Course completion, reporting, activity tracking and activity pre-requisite makes the e-learning deliverables more progress based and ensures the quality of the learning delivery.CONTACT us for your LMS requirements
Moodle in a business setting it can be used in the following areas:
- Any Training needs
- Hiring and InterviewingAbility to allow potential employees to access more about the company and the advertised position. Allow take sample test to evaluate them selves and submit it to the Human Resource department for evaluation, self submit information and documents in a pre-defined format.
- Roll-out Products and Services
- Managing Compliance TrainingCompliance training refers to the process of educating employees on the laws, regulations and company policies that apply to their day-to-day job responsibilities
- Competency TrackingCompetencies are areas of knowledge or skill that are critical for producing key outputs in an organization. Ability to track and Competency using a tool as a part of Learning Management platform
- Create and maintain collaborated knowledge base
- Inter organization discussion forum,
- Web Conferencing
- Running workshop
- Getting employee feedback
User group makes making a group of trainees easy. Features like course completion, reporting, activity tracking and activity pre-requisite makes the e-learning deliverables more progress based and ensures the quality of the learning delivery as well as compliance are met.CONTACT us for your LMS requirements
Moodle LMS Integration:
The modular and open source build on Moodle opens up all possibility of Integration. The list and application is continuously growing so is the level of integration. With a quick search you can see the range of applications, CMS and authentication systems:
- Authentication and user info: LDAP, active directory, Microsoft live, Google app, alfrescoOpen Source Enterprise Content Management System including document management, web content management, SharePoint alternative and content repository
- Document repository and publishing: Gallery, Drupal, Turnitin, Joomla, Drupal, facebook, alfresco
- Collaboration: Google app, webex,
- Application integration: Open office, MS office