Nagios is a popular open source computer system and network monitoring software application. It watches hosts and services, alerting users when things go wrong and again when they get better. Nagios offers complete monitoring and alerting for servers, switches, applications, and services.
- Monitoring of any network services using tcp/udp/icmp connection
- Monitoring of host resources (processor load, disk usage, system logs) on a majority of major network operating systems and via remotely run scripts
- Monitoring of anything else like probes (temperature, alarms…) which have the ability to send collected data via a network to specifically written plugins
- Remote monitoring supported through SSH or SSL encrypted tunnels.
- Plugins available for graphing of data (Nagiosgraph, PNP4Nagios, Splunk for Nagios, and others available)
- Ability to use host hierarchy using intelligently trigger notification
- Ability to check service dependency before sending out notification
- Contact notifications when service or host problems occur and get resolved (via e-mail, pager, SMS)
- Escalation matrix can be defined as per organizational hierarchy depend upon the criticality of the host or service.
- Execute predefined operation in events for problem resolution
- Support for implementing redundant monitoring hosts
- Optional web-interface for viewing current network status, notifications, problem history, and log files, etc.
- Support dashboard.